Terms of Reference Legal Advisor
(National Commission on the Rights of Child)
Type of Contract: Consultant
Remuneration: Lump sum PKR 300,000/Month (Inclusive of everything)
Duration: 12 months
Background and Rationale:
National Commission on the Rights of Child (NCRC), an independent national human rights institution (NHRI) for children set up through NCRC Act of 2017. The Act stipulates a broad and overarching mandate for the promotion, protection and fulfilment of child rights, as provided for in Pakistan’s Constitution and international treaties.
The primary functions and powers of the NCRC include, to inquire into allegations of child rights violations including violence, abuse, exploitation; reviewing of existing and proposed legislation in relation to child rights and child protection; carry out research and advise on policy matters pertaining to the situation of child rights in Pakistan; contribute to child rights awareness-raising and advocacy initiatives in the country; review and report on the Government’s implementation and monitoring of the state of child rights; make technical recommendations and follow up on the implementation of UNCRC treaty obligations.
The Commission became operational in Feb 2020, with the appointment of the Chairperson and its Members. Since its establishment the Commission has proactively engaged with concerned Federal and Provincial Line Departments, Treaty Implementation Cell/s on advising them on policy related matters and handling of complaints of violations of child rights. Moreover, the NCRC has also been responding to letters from National Assembly, Standing Committees on Child Rights and other departments as well as submitting opinions to relevant Courts on child related cases.
The NCRC, in order to handle the tasks amicably and in concurrence with laws, immediately requires the services of a Legal Advisor, who would assist the NCRC in undertaking the above-mentioned tasks and will directly report to the Chairperson, NCRC.
Key Tasks of the Legal Advisor
Legal & Institutional:
- Draft rules and amendments in the rules of business proposed by the relevant quarters and procedures for human resource, complaint handling, investigations and inquiries, conduct of business or any other rules as assigned by the Chairperson NCRC.
- Render legal opinions and deal all legal matters of NCRC as required.
- Assisting the NCRC in matters requiring legal expertise.
- Assist in research on emerging children issues
- Submission of comments/replies in various forums requiring legal expertise.
- Representing NCRC before various forums including but not limited to Courts and Commissions.
- Examine and review existing, proposed and any law or policy or practice, for the time being in force, for protection of child rights, identifying gaps and recommend measures for their effective implementation;
- Draft working papers and response on legal matters and represent the NCRC in various forums including but not limited to Standing/Special Committees of the Senate, National Assembly, Law Reforms Committee, Parliamentary Committees on all matters requiring legal expertise.
Interaction with treaty bodies:
- Examine international instruments, concluding observations and recommendations of treaty bodies and undertake periodical review of existing policies and programmes on child rights and make recommendations for their effective implementation in the best interest of children;
- Build the capacity of NCRC to enhance its interaction with the Committee on the Rights of the Child and other international mechanism for protection of child rights
- Support the Treaty Implementation Cell (TIC) in GSP+ reporting
- Assist the NCRC in inquiring into alleged violation of child rights and recommend to the relevant agency or department initiation of proceedings in such cases;
- Design templates for hearing notices, summons, decisions etc.
- Any other tasks as assigned by the Chairperson requiring legal expertise.
Qualification and Experience:
- LL. B with at least fifteen (15) years practicing experience as an advocate High Court, or
- Master degree in Law/LLM preferably from internationally accredited University with at least ten (10) years practicing experience as an advocate High Court, or
- Master degree in Law/LL.M preferably from internationally accredited University with at least ten (10) years of experience in legal field in Government institution.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in Urdu and English.
- Strong analytical ability and report writing skills
- Demonstrated experience of legal drafting of legislative and legal work.
How to apply: Interested candidates should send their detailed professional CV with a covering letter to the following address not later then xxx/xx/2022