Background and Rationale:
1. Programme Information
National Commission on Rights of the Child (NCRC) is looking for Media Coordinator at the NCRC office, Islamabad
2. Purpose of Assignment
Article 4 of the Convention on the Rights of the Child obliges States parties to “undertake all appropriate legislative, administrative and other measures for the implementation of the rights recognized in the present Convention”. Independent National Human Rights Institutions (NHRI’s) are an important mechanism to promote and ensure the implementation of the Convention on the Right of the Child (CRC). The Committee on the Rights of the Child (the Committee) considers the establishment of such bodies to fall within the commitment made by States parties upon ratification to ensure the implementation of the Convention and advance the universal realization of children’s rights.
In its General Comment No. 21, the Committee describes the role and characteristics of independent human rights institutions for children. The Committee encourages States parties to establish specialist independent human rights institutions with the aim to promote and protect rights of the children.
Realizing its commitment under CRC, the State of Pakistan has established a National Commission on the Rights of Child (NCRC) through the Act XXXII of 2017. The preamble of the Act says; “WHEREAS it is expedient to set up a National Commission on the rights of the child in accordance with international obligations and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereof.”
The National Commission on the Rights of Child Act, 2017 stipulates a broad and overarching mandate for the promotion, protection and fulfilment of child rights as enshrined in Constitution of Pakistan and international treaties particularly CRC. As a State watchdog, the NCRC works independent of the Government and is accountable to the Parliament of Pakistan. The primary functions and powers of the NCRC include, among others, to conduct inquiries into allegations of child rights abuse(s); review existing and proposed legislation from child rights perspective; carry out research and advise on policy matters pertaining to the situation of child rights in Pakistan; contribute awareness-raising and advocacy initiatives and suggest measures to follow up on the implementation of concluding observation of the Committee. The Commission became operational in February 2020, with the appointment of the Chairperson and its Members.
The Media Coordinator will work under the direct supervision of the Advocacy and Communications Officer and will take overall guidance from the Chairperson and Head of Programme – as part of a cross-functional team, the Media Coordinator will engage with senior management and consultants.
- Provide support in the development of social media content for external relations
- Develop regular graphics and posts for social media on approved International Child Rights’- related days, Chairperson’s official messages, and important announcements
- Create small video messages and clips of the Chairperson and other notable persons on NCRC event launches and International Days for dissemination on social media
- Create a monthly repository of social media (with graphics) toolkit for Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
- Managing the process of timely publication of materials with final approvals as per the agreed upon yearly calendar
- Assist in designing and formatting the quarterly NCRC newsletter
- Designing and formatting programmatic content, including presentations, key messages and talking points
- Provide support for media engagement
- Support in establishing relationships with the national and regional press – print, media, electronic – including, regularly engaging and maintaining the media WhatsApp group and updating the database.
- Regularly conduct media engagement capacity building and coordination meetings, as and when needed
- Provide support in website update
- Collaborating and working with the web developer to ensure timely updates on the website
- Responding and troubleshooting all website issues in collaboration with the web developer
- Other activities as assigned by the Supervisor
4. Reporting Procedure
The Officer will develop a work plan of deliverable in line with the TORs with quarterly and monthly plan of actions.
5. Duration of the Contract
The contract will be issued initially for a period of six months with a strong likelihood of further extension based on performance.
PKR 50,000 to 70,000/- per month
7. Reporting line
TheMedia Coordinator will report to the Advocacy and Communications Officer
- First-level degree in mass communications, journalism, international relations, public administration or social skills;
- At least 1-2 years of experience in implementing media and communications projections, including development of IEC materials and tools;
- Essential: English and Urdu; desirable: knowing regional languages is a definite asset;
- Knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Canva, Adobe Premiere Rush (or any other video editing software), and knowledge in digital content production, editing, video production
- Excellent design and formatting skills
- Knowledge in visual design and website development
9. Location of Position
The selected candidate will be based at NCRC Secretariat at Islamabad.